Thursday, March 03, 2011

Breastfeeding

When I first got pregnant with J, breastfeeding was a big concern of mine. I was worried that it was going to hurt a lot or that I wasn't going to produce enough milk to feed him. The time came and after a very long and hard labor that ended in a C-section, J came into the world. He latched on great and even after having a c-section my milk came in a day after he was born. There was minimal pain and it just seemed to go really well. Instead of having a low supply I actually had an over abundance of a supply. I had pumped and saved over 1500 ounces, plus I breastfeed him and pumped extra so his father could feed him when he had him. Sadly though he weaned himself at 10 months :( I enjoyed breastfeeding, the bonding that J and I did, the closeness, and just knowing that I was comforting him and feeding him at the same time. That made it all worth it. I was actually quite sad that he didn't go longer then 10 months, but I guess he was so used to taking bottles that he just preferred it. So we switched to whole milk, and he did great with it.

Then I got pregnant with K, and those worries started over again. Probably even more so because my breastfeeding experience with J went so well. So once again the time came and I had my planned c-section and out she came. She was perfect! She didn't leave my side once and she had a pretty good latch, which made me pretty happy. Also one of the nurses actually told me I had great nipples for breastfeeding. What exactly do you say to that.. Umm thanks??? Anyways my milk came in within a day and a half and it has been great. Tiring but great. It has been a little over 3 months and I have been exclusively breastfeeding, for the first 2 or 3 week of her life she had maybe a couple bottles here and there, R wanted her to get used to the bottles just incase I wasn't able to feed her, but after we stopped giving her a bottle for a week she just wouldn't take them anymore. She would gum it but not suck anything. She also refuses a soother as well, so her only means of pacifying and getting breast milk is from me, and actually I am quite okay with that. I have gotten used to feeding her in front of other people (covered up of course) and if need be feeding her well we are out as well.

I love how when she is hungry and fussing she will automatically start to calm down or actually smile when she seems me start to get ready to feed her. I love how I can calm her down instantly and how she loves to nurse :) I love the bonding time and I love how if all else fails I can get her to sleep from nursing.

It may sound silly or weird to some people but I love breastfeeding my children. It is a very rewarding thing for me to be able to provide for my child like no one else can and it is very cheap :)

Gotta run K is crying :(

No comments:

Post a Comment